Thursday, March 8, 2018

Book Review: How To Be A Perfect Christian by The Babylon Bee

Christian, do you long to be perfect? I am sure you do. Do you long to life a life of easy and comfort? I am sure you do. Do you want to know how to be the best Christian in the world and have people marvel at your holiness? By now, you are thinking I flipped my lid or you caught what book I am reviewing.

Yes, the guys behind the popular website, The Babylon Bee have written a book. This book is for those who long to be a perfect Christian without any sin in their life and go through life without any pain. I hope you that the Babylon Bee is satire. For those who do not know what satire is, it is basically "the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues." Yes, I googled it.

Satire is what the Babylon Bee does really well. They write about what is happening in Christian culture and write in a satirical form to show everyone how stupid it is. This book does the same thing as it does on the website. In this book, the Babylon Bee (I am going to call it the Bee for short) shows us what it means to be a perfect Christian, at least in the minds of some Christians. You must join the right church where everyone knows your name, with the right Bible translation, and your favorite donut. It also shows to be that perfect Christian, you must belief what most mainstream Christians believe in and vote for the right candidate. They even have a translation of what Christians mean when they speak "Christianese."

I am sure you are thinking, why would I review a book like this without chastising it or giving my own two cents. Remember, this is all satire. It is suppose to be humorous, but at the same time, it is also sad. I have know Christians who think some of the things in the book as ligament ways of reaching people for Christ or growing in your faith. The Bee shows how idiotic those things are.

Truth be told, we will should strive for holiness knowing that we sin, have an advocate that speaks to the Father on our behalf, Jesus Christ (1 John 2:1-2). We may never achieve perfection in this life, but that does not mean we stop at being holy for God is holy (1 Peter 1:15-16). When do sin, we must confess and God is faithful to forgive us (1 John 1:9).

Now, I got that serious part out of the way, if you looking for a light-hearted book to read, I highly recommend the Bee's book. I received an advance readers copy so the book will not be available till May 1 (that ain't no joke). This will be a perfect book to read during the summer. Till then go the Bee's website and enjoy those articles before the book is released.

Thanks Multnomah for letting me review this book.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to get out of these skinny jeans and wash this temporary tat from my arm showing I have a past.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis