Saturday, September 10, 2011

Remembering a Friend 10 Years Later

Tomorrow is the 10th anniversary of 9/11. This entire week there has been news coverage remembering the events that shook our country. As I was listening to the radio (I was nowhere near a TV at the time) talking about what happened, I received more sad news. A friend of mine, who graduated college two years before I did, died in a bus accident in Egypt. Her name was Genessa Wells. She had a beautiful voice that you can hear in a room filled with 300 people. She loved Jesus and other people.

She was in Egypt in a two year mission trip and only weeks away from coming back to the states. Her death hit me pretty hard along with the events of 9/11. I am proud to say that her legacy continues to live on and her story is now nationwide. Her story was mentioned in the Baptist Press back in 2002 called Remembering a young woman who followed God to the desert.

Genessa's story even became more famous when David Platt wrote about her in his bestselling book, Radical, in the chapter on "Living When Dying Is Gain." As I sit here remember Genessa, I know she has been worshipping the Savior she loved to sing about while here on earth.

Genessa's life is an example of going on mission for Jesus no matter what the cost. Whether we are planting a church, going on mission in another country, or even being a Pastor in a church in a tough neighborhood, our mission is knowing that we are living for Jesus while dying can truly be gained.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this Chris...Genessa was my sister. :)
    June Baker

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis