Thursday, October 27, 2011

Enough by Helen Roseveare


When reading about this book, I thought this was going to be a short book about why the Prosperity Gospel is a false gospel. The front cover of the book quotes Philippians 4:11-13, which says,

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me (ESV).

After reading those verses on the front cover, one might assume this book is also about being content in whatever circumstances comes our way. That is where the title Enough comes in.

Helen Roseveare was a missionary in the Congo and through her experience as a missionary, she learned that she needs to be content in every situation. She was heavily convicted at one point where she loved Jesus and other things. What does that mean? That she loves Jesus as long she is given things by Jesus. This is where the Prosperity Gospel gets it wrong. The Prosperity Gospel says, God will bless with material possessions and riches if you love him.

This book is not even a hundred pages long, but it packs a punch.

Thanks to Christian Focus for letting me review this book.

1 comment:

ShareThis