Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The One Question My Kids Struggle With

As a parent I get a lot of questions from my kids. Questions like why is the sky blue, why do we have to go to school, and where does poop go when you flush the toilet? I am sure some of you, who are parents, have had some form a question that makes you wonder, why are they thinking about this and why is their curosity killing their cat about this?

There is one question my kids have asked me as well as kids from our church, that got them going confused: Who made God? For some parents, that question will cause them to say, "I'll get back to you on that" or "go ask your mother." My kids have asked me that and my simple answer is, "No made God. God has always been around."

So after a few confused looks for about 30 minutes, I began to share a very important scripture to prove my point:

Before the mountains were brought forth,
or ever you had formed the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God (Psalm 90:2)


Very simple. The other day my youngest child said, "I still do not get how God was always there." I told her not to think hard on the subject because it will make her head hurt. My oldest child said the same thing. The true is we need to let our children think about the truth of God's word in the simplest forms. It will not always be easy, but in the end, it builds a foundation for them to lean on when they are questioned by their friends. My son told me he has had several conversations about God at school. Some respected what he said and some just dismissed what he said.

The question of who made God, should not alarm us because it is a question that has been asked for years and will be continued to be asked. We need to be ready as parents to answer that question when our kids asked us that.

Recommended resources for parents and those in some form of Children's Ministry:

Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones

Big Truths for Little Hearts by Bruce Ware

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis