Monday, July 8, 2013

Learning From Our Drought


Ever since last year, our city and surrounding communities have been experiencing a drought where our lakes are drying up due to lack of rain. Our city is on Stage 3 water restrictions meaning we cannot water whenever we want to. We have to conserve as much water as we can. This past Spring, you could not see any school or church doing a car wash due to the water restrictions.

One business in town, which is a gardening center, closed its doors due the drought. One church decided to make signs to be placed in people's yards saying, "Pray For Rain" with a reference to 1 Thessalonians 5:17 which says, "Pray without ceasing." Many businesses have signs also asking people to pass by to pray for rain. Our city is use to seeing a lot of extreme weather. We had tornadoes including the one that devastated the city in 1979 and we also had blizzards such as the one on Christmas Eve in 2009, but for some this is new and for other this is nothing new.

As a Christian, I am looking at this drought as part of the suffering caused by sin. I am not referring to someone in our city, which some Christians including one preacher has come to say that this drought is a result of our sin as a city. I am talking about the sin of Adam. Ever since Adam's sin, not only death came to all men, but creation was also affected. Romans 8:19-23 says:

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.

Creation is groaning for the sons of God to be revealed. Creation is subject to corruption because of the fall in the garden of Eden. As I was thinking about this drought, I was thinking about what can Christians learning from this drought. The first thing is prayer, which a lot of people in this are doing. James tell us, "The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed fervently that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain on the earth. Then he prayed again, and heaven gave rain, and the earth bore its fruit" (James 5:16-18).

Second, recognize that this world is affected by sin, but when Christ returns it will not be. As Christians, we should long for Jesus to return and set things right. I can imagine no more tornadoes, blizzards, and droughts. Now about temperature that is debatable because if Hell is hot then Heaven must be cold where everyone can enjoy it and the new earth will also be that way (this is just my opinion).

Third, seek God. Remember what the psalmist wrote:

O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
in your name I will lift up my hands. (Psalm 63:1-4)


Finally, repent of your sin. Stop thinking that it is someone's fault that the drought, or what natural disaster happens like those who blame hurricanes and tornadoes on a certain group of people, which I will not go into right now. You might need to repent of your own self-righteousness. You might have judged people. Ask the Holy Spirit what sin you need confess, ask forgiveness for, and repent from. Psalm 139:23-24 says, "Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!"

I ask everyone to pray for our city that God will send rain so that our lakes will be full and people can water their yards. Also pray for our city officials that they will make wise decisions to help their citizens in this drought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis