Thursday, October 3, 2013

Who or What Is Your Functional Savior?

Athletes and politicians have served in the mind's people as functional saviors. What is sad is that people will be disappointed in them one way or the other. For example, a fan in Houston, TX bought a Matt Schaub (Houston Texans' quarterback) jersey, which is about $200.00, then proceeds to set it fire. Reason is due to Schaub's performance this past Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks. Two days later, our government officially shut down due to republicans and democrats not coming to an agreement on funding itself.

Quarterbacks and politicians serves as a reminder that people who put their faith in will fail us. As fun as football is to watch, when you give all of your devotion to a single player or team you are due for disappointment. Just ask any die hard Texas Ranger or Dallas Cowboy fan. When players or teams do bad we tend to forsake them because they are not doing what we think they should do. Team does great stadium is filled. When they are not doing great, attendance drops.

Politicians serve as functional saviors because we long for someone to come and save us from whatever the other guy is for. Every four years, people are awaiting a person to take over the White House and make this country great. I remember being in a conversation about the possibility of Rick Perry running for president when the next election takes place. Someone said that he might be the answer to our prayers of America turning back to God. So people are putting their faith in a man that is only in office for four years that will turn this country around. Have we not learned that our people are not perfect and they will let you down.

Athletes and Politicians are not the only functional saviors people might have. So how can you identify your functional savior? Here are 12 fill in the blank statements for you to answer:

1. I am preoccupied with ________.

2. If only ________, then I would be happy.

3. I get my sense of significance from ________.

4. I would protect and preserve ________ at any cost.

5. I fear losing ________.

6. The thing that gives me greatest pleasure is ________.

7. When I lose ________, I get angry, resentful, frustrated, anxious, or depressed.

8. For me, life depends on ________.

9. The thing I value more than anything in the world is ________.

10. When I daydream, my mind goes to________.

11. The best thing I can think of is ________.

12. The thing that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning is ________.
Source: 12 Steps to Identifying Your Functional Saviors



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis