Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Concern Over "Heaven Is For Real"

Today is the day that "Heaven Is For Real" is released in theaters nationwide. I know several people in the church that are willing to see this movie while others just refuse to watch it. The movie is based on the best-selling book of Colton Burpo getting a glimpse of heaven during an emergency appendectomy. He saw Jesus, his grandfather (whom he never met), and even his sister who died in a miscarriage.

I have had debates with people in my church concerning the movie. I had one member say they would rather see that than "Noah" or "Son of God." I have read the book and thought it was just nonsense, and that the father, who is a pastor, should have gone to the Bible for the real glimpses of Heaven. We love to hear near death experiences because we want to hear if the afterlife is real.

My concern for Christians is that they will take this movie as a gift...message from God, like the Blood Moon. I am also concern is that Christians will not rely on the Bible for what God has given us about what Heaven is like. We believe the Bible is final authority for faith and practice yet when it comes to Heaven, we dismiss it in a heartbeat like teachings on the Second Coming of Jesus that is not faithful to Biblical teaching. One more concern I have is Christians taking there non-Christian friends to see this movie and think that is sharing the gospel with them (the same can be said about any other Christian movie).

Should a Christian go see "Heaven Is For Real?" Probably. I might see it just so I know what people are talking about but I know I will be in fight with some Christians who too gullible to believe almost anything without discerning if it is from God or not.

This video is David Platt talking about "Heaven Is For Real" and other Christian books that talk about trips to Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis