Thursday, August 28, 2014

Incoming Freshmen: Don't Forget The Church

As college starts this week, at least for us in Wichita Falls, I am reminded of my Freshman year going to a new city which means I would have to find a church to attend. Going to a Christian college, churches were all over campus getting students' attention as to why they should attend their church. Most of them served free food which is not a bad thing.

As students went from church to church, I was amazed by how many were going home to attend their church, which is not bad if you live close but you live far away, this a waste of gas, considering gas was not as high as it was when I attended college. That first Sunday, I attended Central Baptist Church and I believe God was leading me to join it. The next Sunday, I did under a watchmen program which was where I did not move my membership but I was part of the church. I have to say that was a mistake. If you are joining a church, you need to move your membership. Thankfully, I did move my membership from Champion Forest Baptist Church to Central which the leaders of the church asked me to do since I wanted the church to license me in the ministry.

Over the next few years, I was amazed at the number of Christian students in a Christian college who were not attending a church. They were letting the Baptist Student Ministries (BSM) take the place of the church which was very unbiblical. Not many moved their membership either and most of them were ministry students. My hope and prayer is that trend has ceased at East Texas Baptist University (ETBU).

If there is one thing I can write to the incoming Freshman, this would it: Don't forget the church. Christ died for the church and we are to be part of it. Just because you changed cities, it does not mean God has stopped his mission. We are be in community with other believers. If you are part of the BSM, that is great, but it is not a church. If your BSM tries to become a church and does not encourage church attendance whatsoever, get out.

I know many college towns have a lot of churches to choose from. My encouragement to you to take your time, attend a service, and pray. Ask the Lord where He would like for you to serve during your college years. Do not compare the church you attended to any other church in your city because you will not find one. Yes, the church you attend must teach in accord with sound doctrine and preach the Bible faithfully.

Whatever church God has called you to join, move your membership. Become part of a Sunday School class/Community group (depending on the context of the church) and be active in the ministry of the church. If you sing, join the choir or praise band (whatever the church has). If you are called to the ministry, talk with a church leader and see where you could be used to serve the body of Christ while getting your education. Also take your time in discern what church God is leading you too.

My prayer for you incoming Freshmen is to glorify God as you get your education and serve Him faithfully in the local church. My prayer is that you attend a church and not let the college world overwhelm you with the pressures of academics that will make you forget about the church and the fellowship you have with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis