Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Book Review: How Can I Be Sure? by John Stevens

Christians from time to time in some form or fashion struggle with doubt particularly with their salvation. I am remember in my earlier days as a Christian, I doubted my salvation because I did not feel saved. All my doubts were put as aside when a guest preacher from Alabama told me never to associate my salvation with my feelings.

From indwelling sin, lack of evangelistic zeal, even comparing their walk with Jesus to another Christian who seems to have it all together, or whatever the reason, Christians have various reasons for why they struggle with doubting their salvation. How does one overcome doubt? In his book, How Can I Be Sure?, John Stevens takes a look at what doubt is and answers questions regarding assurance of salvation.

In the beginning for the book, Stevens deals with the question about what doubt exactly is and why it can be dangerous for Christians to engaged in it. Next, he deals with overcoming doubt and how to be sure that God truly loves those he calls his children. Finally, Stevens talks about having a confident faith which he addresses having a closer walk with Jesus, being part of a community of believers, and allow suffering to produce maturity among other things.

As one who struggled with doubts over his salvation, I can say that this is something you cannot just overcome by yourself. I did not have any great books to go to when I was doubting my salvation, but now for those who do doubt, I can point people to this book. This book is good for Christians to go one-on-one with a struggling believer. This is also good for pastors to take a believer who is struggling with doubt through as well.

Thanks Good Book Company for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis