Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Set Apart Before Birth

But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus (Galatians 1:15-17)

In Galatians 1 we read how Paul was so amazed that the Galatian church was so quick to desert the gospel. The Galatian church decided to go to a teaching that was not salvation by grace through faith. Rather, their the teaching they embraced was salvation based on their own merit.

The Apostle Paul then goes on to defend the gospel of grace using his own story. He did not receive the gospel based on anyone's teaching nor did someone make it up, but it was giving to him by Jesus. Paul went on to say that he persecuted the church and even gladly received the teachings of his fathers.

This is where we pick up with Galatians 1:15, which says that Paul was set apart before he was born. Lets stop and think about that for a minute. We have all heard the passage in Jeremiah where God told the Prophet, "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations" (Jeremiah 1:5). God knew these men before they were born and set them apart to do a mighty work. Was it because God saw potential in them? Not at all. Paul goes on to say that God called him "by his grace" and "was pleased to reveal his Son to me" (Galatians 1:15). Not because of anything Paul has done. Paul wrote to Timothy,

But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life (1 Timothy 1:13-16).

It was because of grace. Paul became a display of God's patience. Paul was set apart before birth to be a display of God's patience and grace. Same thing goes for all of us who profess Christ as Lord. We may not have the same testimony as Paul but we are all set apart before we were born, called by God's grace, and charged with proclaiming the gospel. Think about what the events prior to your salvation. Did you start seeking God? It was God working in your life so that the glorious news of the gospel will shine in your heart and the Holy Spirit worked in your life so you can respond to Christ in faith and repentance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis