Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Book Review: The Foundation of Communion with God

Ever since I read The Glory of Christ, John Owen has been one of my favorite writers. He has such a passion for God and theology that you sense as you read his words that were written nearly 400 years ago. I have to confess I have not read many biographies on Owen, so I feel I have not been properly introduced to the man himself.

Ryan M. McGraw has edited a wonderful book that gives fans of Owen as well as newcomers to Reformed Theology an introduction to not only John Owen himself, but his writings. The Foundation of Communion with God beings with a brief overview into what is means to be reformed then goes into how John Owen taught it as well as giving us a biographical sketch into who he is and what shaped his theology.

The rest of book contains short writings of John Owen from various books he has written covering a variety of topics divided into three sections. Those sections are knowing God as Triune, Heavenly-mindedness & Apostasy, and covenant & church. The book has three appendixes that talking about how to read John Owen, the listing of his work in sequential order, and more books on Owen.

This book is great for new believers wanting to know more about men who have gone before us. This book is also good for those new to reformed theology. As I mentioned, John Owen is one of my favorite writers so I could not pass up this book.

Thanks Refomation Heritage Books for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis