Friday, November 21, 2014

Book Review: Invitation to Philippians by Donald R Sunukjian

The Book of Philippians is one of my favorite books in the Bible. Earlier this year, I decided to study for my own soul and found it very fulfilling. I had a few commentaries and study Bibles to assist me in my studies.

In having commentaries, you have many that take the book and break it down verse by verse while you have other that take a introductory approach to the book especially first time readers of the Bible. Donald R. Sunukjian has a series of commentaries entitled, "Biblical Preaching for the Contemporary Church." I have decided to review his commentary in the book of Philippians called, Invitations to Philippians.

Sunukjian does a great job writing about what Philippians is all about and goes through the entire book. However this commentary served more as a devotional rather than a commentary. Granted he uses illustrations to get the point across to his readers than goes to the Biblical text and teaches from them. The chapters are no relatively longer chapters but very easy to read which could be a plus for some pastors when reading commentaries.

While I will be going to this commentary from time to time in my study of Philippians whether personal or for church, I cannot say it will be the first commentary I pick up. When it says, Biblical Preaching for the Contemporary Church, it truly means a commentary for short sermons since that is what most contemporary churches do. There were some strengths to this commentary but also some weaknesses.

Thanks Weaver Book Company for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis