Monday, March 23, 2015

Am I Still Involved in the Church Plant?

I know I have not written a lot for the past few days. A lot has happened in the last couple of weeks that we not really what I have expected. I have even wrestled with sharing with you on something very personal. I know sharing something like this will leave me vulnerable to attacks and even criticism, but I hope you read my words with humility and understanding.

First, my health is okay. Most of you know I went through cancer in 2007. In fact, this Thursday will mark seven years since my last chemo treatment and I praise God for the good health He has given me. Second, family is good. Kids are doing well in school and my wife is doing well.

Now for the big question, Am I still involved with the church plant? The answer is no. I would like to share why I am no longer involved in planting a church, however, I will not go into great detail, but keep it simple.

Back in August, I left the church where I was Youth Pastor to help replant a church with a friend who started one a few years ago. We were the only two leaders. About a month later, an older gentleman came on board who has been involved in a PCA plant in Wichita Falls that no longer exist, he was not an elder at that time. My first thoughts was he was coming on as an mentor for me and my friend, which seem to be the idea my friend had at the time. It was not until a few months later, the older gentleman became more of a dictator than a mentor. He started dictated where my family and I should attend church on Sunday morning and other issues where it felt like I could not even breathe without his approval.

During one of our leadership meetings, I voiced my frustrations over the lack of tasks being done in the church plant. Then out of no where, the older gentleman and my friend attacked me and my family. After a four hour meeting which I defended myself and my family, I decided with prompting from the Spirit to leave the church plant.

Last week, I met with the two men to reconcile. We did. My friend, who I originally joined to plant the church, apologized. We hugged each other. We are still friends. The older gentleman said sorry but was trying to make me feel bad about leaving which I had none of it. The next day I was an emotional wreck. I questioned if I made the right decision. My wife recommended going to bed early which was a blessing from God. I had a clear head the following day. After praying and reflecting on all that happened, I believe I made the right decision.

What I am doing now, I have taken refuge at Wichita Falls Baptist Church, where a friend of mine is the pastor. The church has been loving toward us and my family. We have loved the gospel-centered preaching, teaching, and worship. We have not officially joined the church yet, but we are thinking very strongly that this is the church where we want to heal, grow, and serve. As far as me becoming a church leader or on staff any time soon, I am going to let the Lord lead and when the right opportunity comes, I will let Him lead. Will I plant a church again? I would love to do so again. Not sure when. I believe there is a gospel work that needs to be done in our city.

Pray for my family and I as we seek the Lord in the direction He wants us to go. Pray for healing and growth during this time. As I close, I would like to leave you with a lyric video of a song we sang in worship yesterday. You might be going through a rough time right now, may not be what I went through, but you are suffering. I want to leave you with this song saying, as long as God is glorified, we will give you all that we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis