Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Book Review: The NIV Zondervan Study Bible

The New International Version (NIV) turns 50 this year. The NIV is considered the most popular Bible translation and the most read for the last couple of decades. Many study and specialty Bible have been made in the NIV which I have a few of them myself. My first NIV Bible was a student Bible which my brother gave me as a middle school graduation present. I used that Bible day in and day out until I had to get a new one which was the NIV Study Bible.

God used the NIV during my early days as a Christian which I am thankful for because there was not as easy to read translation that was close to being as accurate as the NIV was at that time. There were many resources based on the NIV along with the study and specialty Bible as I mentioned earlier. Zondervan has released a new study Bible, the NIV Zondervan Study Bible. This is a different study Bible unlike anything Zondervan has produced in years passed.

This study Bible has D.A. Carson as the general edition, who happens to be a solid Bible teacher and a NIV user. What this Bible is focused is getting the reader to look at the Bible as one story instead of different stories in one book. Carson said this Bible focuses on Biblical theology where the ESV Study Bible focuses on systematic theology.

There are many positives to this study Bible. It has great book introductions and outlines of each book of the Bible. The study notes deal with each verse of the text whether its one verse or three verses. There are many great theological articles written by solid pastors and teachers such as Greg Gilbert, Sam Storms, Kevin DeYoung, and Tim Keller. There are even introductions to each section of scripture such as the gospels and the Pentateuch. You could say this almost like the ESV Study Bible in way.

What are the negatives? While the study notes are good, they don't go over the literal meaning of a Greek word and difference in translation. As many of you are aware the NIV went through an update after the gender-natural, Today's New International Version (TNIV), went bust. Zondervan admit mistakes were made and they wanted to correct them in an updated NIV. One of the words taken out was Saints and was replaced with God's people or God's holy people, which is what a saint is. The study notes do not give a good explanation as to what a saint is but then again this study Bible is based on the NIV and not other literal translations.

Another negative is I feel this is another marketing ploy by Zondervan to gain sales. Sure this Bible will sale in a Christian bookstore or Amazon, but with the ESV Study Bible gaining ground as the study Bible for Christians, I felt this was Zondervan's way of getting more people to buy their product. Not to mention this Bible and the ESV Study Bible is about the same size. I don't think Carson's intention or focus in making a new study Bible was to make a profit but to get people something they could use to study Biblical theology.

In 2008, I switched from the NIV to the ESV because I felt the ESV was a better translation as far as accuracy and readability was concerned. I do use the NIV from time to time in studying the Word but not as often I did when I first believed. The ESV Study Bible will remain my first go-to study Bible, but this Bible will come along side it. There are many Christians who benefit from this Bible especially if your church still uses the NIV. I am surprised that some Reformed/Calvinistic Pastors and teachers, such as Daniel Montgomery, Tim Keller, and Tim Chester, use the NIV in their preaching and teaching where the majority use the ESV, New American Standard Bible (NASB), or New King James Version (NKJV).

I know I will be reading the articles in the study Bible and most likely use them in teaching and preaching. Who knows they might show up on the blog. My overall assessment of the NIV Zondervan Study Bible is it is a good tool to have in studying Biblical theology. I really appreciate D.A. Carson's commitment in making a theological study Bible.

Thanks Booklook Bloggers for letting me review this study Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis