Thursday, December 10, 2015

Book Review: The Comeback by Louie Giglio

I remember the first church camp I attended during my teenage years. We were at San Marcos Baptist Academy where our church and a few other churches join together for worship, prayer, and reading the Bible. The camp pastor was Louie Giglio who spoke with such a passion for God that I never heard before.

Over the years, Louie became one of my favorite Bible teachers. I would get copies of his messages from Choice Ministries, which took place at Baylor University, and listen to them while laying on my bed. In 1998, I attended Passion in Austin, Tx which was one of the first Passion conferences before it became a household name in the church. Louie continued to preach with the same fire he had when I first saw him.

A lot has changed for the past two decades. Louie became the pastor of Passion City Church, the Passion conference has grown they have to have it in separate cities, and the conference has produced worship anthems that are sung in the church. Louie has written a few books, and The Comeback is one of them.

When picking up this book, my expectations were very high. I know Louie to be a man after God's heart and speak God's truth. This book does communicate that Jesus is enough as we live on earth and reminds us that Jesus died for our sins. However, this book had the affect of a self-help book. Louie talks about how God has a comeback ready for you when you are down and going through a trial.

He shares stories of how God took care of the Passion ministry, which I believe God does take care of His people in ways that blows our minds, but the way it was communicated almost sounded like I was reading something from Joel Osteen. There was hardly any structure in the book, in other words, Louie's writings were scattered all over the place.

He even wrote that the Resurrection was the greatest comeback of all. What? I don't remember seeing that in the Bible. I remember seeing that Jesus was "raised for our justification" (Romans 4:25). In reading 1 Corinthians 15, it says if there is no resurrection, our faith useless and we are still in our sins. I don't see where Paul under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit calling Jesus' resurrection a comeback.

This book, while sharing that Jesus did die on the cross for our sins, was no where near all about Jesus. I was greatly disappointed in this book. I almost wanted to write "Farewell, Louie Giglio" at the end of book. Don't waste your time reading this one.

I received this book from Booklook Bloggers for the purpose of review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. I appreciate the concerns you raised.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis