Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Thoughts on E-Books

For the past couple of weeks, we have had two write about e-books. Tim Challies has written that he is going all in with e-books while Michael Hyatt said he is is ditching e-books. Both writers give their reasons for going the way they chose when it comes to reading books.

My purpose is not argue for either one of their cases. but I would like to share some thoughts regarding e-books and whether or not Christians should them. First, should a Christian read from a printed book or an e-book? Yes. A book is a book. I don't think we can judge one's salvation or maturity based on if he/she uses an e-reader or not. Both have advantages and disadvantages. For printed books, you can write thoughts in the book and you can get easier then an e-book at times especially when you have to wait for the e-reader to charge or until your youngest child is done using it. That's a true story, by the way.

There are times e-books are cheaper than printed books and other times free especially on Kindle. Second, should I use the Bible in my e-reader? Yes and no. Yes, when you are going on a trip and want to make sure you pack light, having the Bible on your e-reader is a plus. If you are a student, having that in your backpack might not be a bad idea especially you have one of those nice leather Bibles. Where I say no is for your own personal Bible reading and study. Yes, it does not matter if your Bible is hardback, leather bound, or even an e-book, it is the Word of God. I have found more benefit from having an actual printed Bible to read and study in than an e-version. In addition, I don't think one should be in a worship service with one. I think it would be a benefit to you and your brother and sisters around you if have a printed copy of the Bible. A printed copy of the Bible will help know where the books are in each testament.

Third, should I ditch one of over the other. That depends on you and your budget. This is not one of those you are a better Christian if you have an e-book or a printed book. I know I would personally not get rid of printed books nor would I stop using e-books. If there is an e-book that is free on Kindle, of course, I am going to download it and the same thing goes if a printed book was offered for free, I would take advantage.

One final question, is why would you use e-books only? In other words, what are your motives. Do you want to use e-books because it is the trend or because it is your best option for reading and lighter on your budget. Do you want to stay with printed books because you think technology is the mark of the beast, which I have known a few people in the church like that.

Personally, I love printed books more than I do e-books. I love the feel of a book in my hand. I don't mind using an e-book, but I prefer a printed one. Yes, it does cost more and take up space especially when you use your last empty bookshelf, but that is my preference. I also would not preach or teach from an e-version of the Bible unless it was necessary such as teaching at a church overseas. Whether or not a Christian should use an e-reader, is a matter of preference. So regardless of what kind of books you are reading, keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis