Saturday, February 6, 2016

Creeds & Confessions Are Expressions

Back in December, I reviewed a book from R.C. Sproul, where I confessed the first time I heard the Apostle's Creed was from an Petra song called, "Creed." If you have reading reformed theologians or listening to podcast, it is most likely you have heard a creed or confession.

For most of my Christian walk, I have attended Southern Baptist churches where we don't resist creed nor hold to one, even though the Baptist Faith and Message could be considered one. If you asked most Christians what creed do they hold, they might say, "No creed but the Bible." Other might not even know what a creed is except as the name of a rock band or the latest Sylvester Stallone movie.

A creed is simply statement of Christian beliefs. A confession normally refers to something that is hidden. In the context of Christian, it is basically expressing what we believe which is made in essay form. There have been many creeds over the centuries such as the Apostle's Creed, Creed of Nicaea, and Chalcedonian Creed. There have numerous confession as well such as The Westminster Confession of Faith and the 1689 London Baptist Confession.

As I hear these sermons and podcasts, I am amazed at how some men have these creeds and confessions quoted more than the Bible, which concerns me. First, let me say this: I am not anti-creedal. I am for having creeds and confessions. Whether you are a Baptist or Presbyterian, it is good to have these so we know what we believe and where in the Bible to find them.

The problem is when they are known and, often times, quoted more than Scripture. Granted if you are doing a study on a confession that is one thing. During a sermon when a creed and confession is quoted more than the Bible, it can become a problem. What you have done is elevated those words with the same authority as the Bible. One of the Solas of the Reformation is Sola scriptura, which means Scripture alone is the final authority for the believer in faith and practice.

Creeds and confessions are expressions of our faith, not the basis for our faith. What a Christian believes comes from the Bible, not a formal statement or a series of writings outside the Biblical text.

I hope none of you took this as an anti-creedal post. What I hope you understand is creeds and confessions are important, however, they need to be put in their place which is, basically, supplemental. Creeds and confessions should never be in the same league with the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis