Tuesday, February 23, 2016

We Should Not Be Shocked By Growth

The other day my wife told me so news that made me feel like an old man. My 14-year-old son is taller than her. I know kids are suppose to grow up. We love it when it is someone else's kid, but when it is your own, you feel like your world just got rocked especially when that same kid is about to start High School.

Parents should not be shocked when their kids grow up. Yes, it will make us feel old, but it should not surprise us. Then I was thinking about my growth as a Christian. In churches I have been apart of, some people were perplexed by my maturity because I was growing in the faith.

I remembered something Mark Dever said to C.J. Mahaney during an interview on a 9 Marks CD is got years ago. Dever said, "It should not shock us when Christians grow, it should shock us when they don't." The Bible tells us:

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving (Colossians 2:6-7)

But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18)


We are to continue to walk with Jesus and grow in His grace. Why does growth shock some Christians? One of reasons could be it is not encouraged in their churches. They expect the pastor and church staff to grow in their faith, but not themselves which is just as foolish to think church members are not the ones to do evangelism. Along with that, they could be not part of a healthy church where the gospel is preached, sin is confronted, and discipleship is encouraged.

Another reason could be they only want the fire insurance. People want to salvation as a get out of hell free card. This is where I think the church needs to get back in teaching what the doctrine of regeneration is all about. I am not saying those who don't want to grow in their faith are not saved, but when one is saved, there should be signs of spiritual maturity.

Brothers and sisters in Christ, we should pray for the spiritual growth of our fellow believers and also encourage them. The Christian walk is a challenging yet rewarding life. We need each other to grow and lean on each other when we are stagnate in our growth.

When we see a Christian growing in their walk with Jesus, rejoice and don't look on them like a freak of nature (personal experience). When we see a Christian struggling in their walk, pray for them and encourage them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis