Thursday, May 18, 2017

Rest In The Bible

There are many good books out there and there are not so great books as well. I am thankful for the number of books I have read over the years that have stretched and challenged me. Some of those books have been reviewed on the blog while there are others I have shared quotes from whether on the blog or on social media.

While it is good to read books, it is very important that Christians must not neglect the reading of the Word of God. Psalm 119:105 says that God's Word is a lamp onto our fight and light for our path. Psalm 119 is a love letter to God's Word. The psalmist says God's Word is sweeter than honey and more precious than silver. The Bible is a treasure that all Christians have but I fear it is neglected for many reasons.

We cannot substitute our Bible reading with reading our books including devotionals or even reading blogs. Don't misunderstand me, these are all good, but they should never take the place of reading the Bible. If you are reading this, I am glad you have visited the blog, but I pray you stay in the Word. I hope you attend a church that encourages Bible reading and study where theology is not looked as an academic field.

Charles Spuregon once said, visit good books, but rest in the Bible. That is my hope for every believer that they would rest in the Bible The Bible is the final authority for faith and practice. If I read a book where the author is off in centerfield, I am going to take the Bible over that author and the same goes with a pastor.

Christians, rest in the Bible. That is God's Word to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis