Friday, November 24, 2017

Book Review: Exalting Jesus in John by Matt Carter and Josh Wredberg

Over the past few years, I have had the privilege of reviewing books in the "Christ-Centered Exposition" commentary series. I have enjoyed most of them while didn't really care for a few of them. I have also used them in my own personal study of the Bible.

This time around, I have the privilege of reviewing the brand new commentary in this series on the gospel of John. One of the reasons I am excited is one of the authors of this commentary is Matt Carter who is the teaching pastor at the Austin Stone Community Church in Austin, Tx. I have reviewed a couple of his books in the past as well. He is joined by Josh Wreberg, who is the preaching pastor at Redeemer Community Church in Fuquay-Varina, NC.

This commentary, like all the others in this series, is geared towards those who are leading a small group or sermon preparation. I also feel this is a great commentary to be used as you are reading and/or studying the gospel of John. Carter and Wredberg do a great job making it simple and understandable for all who read it.

They do various portions of John in numerous chapters, without keeping one, yet they go over one entire chapter in one setting as well. I felt they took on John 3:16 and communicated how this is the gospel message and not getting stuff from God. When it comes to John 6, Carter and Wredberg do not back down from teaching on the doctrine of election.

I have heard teaching from John 15:1-17 that says the fruit Jesus was talking about was evangelism. Yes, we are commanded to evangelize, but that is not what this passage teaches. Carter and Wredberg says this passage is about spiritual fruit which we would also associate with the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23. They even took John 17, the true Lord's Prayer, and divided it into two chapters.

Of all the "Christ-Centered Exposition" commentaries, I have say this is one my favorite. I know I will be using it from time to time in my studies especially when I am teaching from the gospel of John.

Thanks B&H Publishing for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis