Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Following Christ's Steps

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps (1 Peter 2:21).

As God’s servants, we should impress on our hearts that we should be ready and willing to suffer what comes our way because Christ did so much for us. We should think along these lines: “Though completely innocent, my Lord served me and gave his life for me. Why should I refuse to serve him in return? He was entirely pure and without sin. Yet he humbled himself, shed his blood, and died, wiping out my sin. Shouldn’t I also suffer a little bit if this pleases him?” Whoever thinks about Christ’s death without feeling moved must be made out of stone. For if a master walks ahead and steps in the mud, it’s only reasonable for his servant to follow him through the mud.

So Peter says, “To this you were called.” To what? To endure suffering as Christ did. Peter is saying, “If you wish to follow Christ, you must not argue and complain very much when you are wronged. You must endure it and even forgive it.” Remember that Christ suffered everything for you, even though he was completely innocent. He didn’t appeal to justice when he stood before his judges. In the same way, you should set justice aside and say to yourself, “Thank you, God. I’m called to endure injustice. Why should I complain when my Lord didn’t complain?”

Adapted from Faith Alone: A Daily Devotional by Martin Luther

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis