Wednesday, February 20, 2019

To Obey Is To Love Jesus

When it comes to obedience, some think it is very legalistic. The Bible proclaims that we can come to Christ by faith not works yet we must obey Jesus. A life of obedience is the mark of a true believer. In fact, to obey is to show the world that we love Jesus.

The Bible says:

Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him...If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him (John 14:21, 23).

For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome (1 John 5:3).


If we are true believers and love Jesus we must obey Him. Does this include all of the Bible? Yes. In John 1:1, Jesus is called the Word. Hebrews 1:1-2 says, "Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world."

Through the pages of scripture we get the commands of Jesus whether it was from Himself or one writing the words under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. We obey Jesus not to get saved, but because we are saved. James, the half-brother of Jesus said "faith apart from works is dead" (James 2:26). The Apostle Paul wrote that we are saved for works (Ephesians 2:10), which includes obeying the Son of God.

Loving Jesus is not a romantic love, it is a love that requires action based on what He has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis