Wednesday, July 22, 2020

God is a Person

Thus says the LORD: “Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD.” (Jeremiah 9:23–24)

God is a divine person who made us in his image as persons. A person is a living, self-aware being who thinks, relates to others, and demonstrates character traits. God possesses each of these aspects of personhood. He is a living being, for against the lifeless idols Jeremiah shouts, “The Lord is the true God; he is the living God and the everlasting King” (10:10). He is the living God—he “gives life to all things” (1 Tim. 6:13), and his people “sing for joy to the living God” (Ps. 84:2).

Further, God has self-awareness, as he graciously proclaims: “Turn to me and be saved, all the ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other” (Isa. 45:22). God thinks; indeed, he is “perfect in knowledge” (Job 37:16) and “knows everything” (1 John 3:20). God blasts false prophets who prophesy lies in his name: “I am the one who knows, and I am witness, declares the Lord” (Jer. 29:23). Because of God’s intimate knowledge of our thoughts and words, we join the chorus: “Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it” (Ps. 139:6). 

God relates to others, and because he made us in his image, we are capable of relationships with him and other persons (Gen. 1:26–27). God knows and can be known, as he tells Jeremiah: “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you” (Jer. 1:5). Human wisdom, strength, or riches do not impress God; rather, he says, “Let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord” (9:24). 

Finally, God has character traits. In Revelation, John sees a choir of believers singing songs of worship for God’s works, ways, and character: “Great and amazing are your deeds, O Lord God the Almighty! Just and true are your ways, O King of the nations! Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify your name? For you alone are holy” (Rev. 15:3–4).

The great, almighty, all-knowing, and holy God is a person, who created us in his image. By his grace we can know, love, and serve him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis