Tuesday, August 25, 2020

When Your Firstborn Goes to College

Lets be honest, 2020 has been one for the record books. A pandemic unlike anyone has ever seen. We have had businesses shut down, schools closed only have online classes, and even churches closing their doors whether willingly or not. For many high school seniors, they did not get to have the senior year they wanted. Some did have a ceremony in person while others had a virtual graduation, which I did attend one of those.

During the summer many did not even know if schools were going to be opened or be virtual for the time being. This included colleges and universities, which some of them are having classes on campus and virtual sessions. For many college kids, they finally get to experience their first semester of college even though there is still a little hesitation of in-class meetings.

This week marks my son, Jesse's, first week of college. As a parent, I know this experience can be exciting and nerve wracking all at the same time. Of course, I did not have to deal with a pandemic 24 years ago. I am sure many of you, who are parents, are dealing with your firstborn going to college. I know the hardest thing to do is letting them go and be adults. They will have to fight battles that may not involve you. They have to take the initiative to work hard and keep their grades up.

The real battle of course is the spiritual battle. My son and I were discussing that the drama in college is a lot different than high school drama and the liberalism is worse. Granted, I did go to Baptist college where there was some liberalism only disgusted as something else. You hope that everything you have taught them while at home stays with them and they will continue to abide in Christ. 

The hardest part is letting them go. Granted, for me and my wife, our son is living with us while attending our local university, but there will be a time where you have to let them go. Our son plans to transfer in a year or two so that means he is out of the house.  Maybe some of you have kids that have the same plan. Letting go is hard no matter if it your firstborn or your youngest.

As Christian parents, we always face the thought, "I wish I did better." I am have faced that over the last couple of weeks. There are some things I wished did better as a parent especially in teaching my kids the Bible. There are things I wish I implemented early on, but I was not Reformed when my kids were born. After I became Reformed, I wanted to make sure that I taught the kids the Bible. Almost every night, I read the Bible to my kids and we prayed. So I could go on and on about what I could have done better, but their salvation is not depended on what I could have done. It is based on what Christ has done.

Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."  This verse is not a promise but a principle to follow. It does not guarantee they will continue to love Jesus. This is where we need to trust in the Lord. As much as I want to see my children to walk in the truth, this is where I have to trust the work of Spirit in their lives, in this case, my son. I know God has done a work in him, so I have to trust in God for that. He may have grown differently than I did, but my trust is in the Lord. For you who have your firstborn going to college, this is what we as parents must do: Trust in the Lord and give your child to Him. 

I know it seems I am rabbling in this post, but I really don't have a formula on how to handle this nor  some grand words of wisdom expect that we need to trust our child to the Lord whether they are going to college close to home or one that is hours away. All we do is be there for them when they need guidance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis