Thursday, February 4, 2021

Reaction to Church People

Earlier this week, I watched a trailer for an upcoming movie produced by Fathom Events called "Church People." Here is the trailer followed by my thoughts: 

At first, I surprised that Fathom Events put together a movie like this. Normally, they would release Operas, concerts, or even theatrical productions. I am surprised by some of the actors in the movie but to honest, it might just work for a movie like this. My response on social media was looks funny and terrifying. 

Funny as in it might actually be a clean, comedic movie without profanity and/or sexual references (I could be wrong). Terrifying because I wonder if this what majority of people see with Christianity especially in America, which is mostly accurate. 

Amazingly, the trailer asks the question that many Christians are still asking, is the Gospel enough? What does the Mega Church Pastor want to do on Easter Sunday, he wants to do a live crucifixion on his son-in-law, which happens to work in the church with him. The son-in-law wants to just preach the  gospel, which one dude was saying no. This is what is happening in the church today. People want to go bigger than the gospel. 

I am curious about this movie and the message it will be communicating. I am also curious if the son-in-law goes with the live crucifixion. I know there will be only three days to see this film, which means many probably won't be able to see, so I hope it ends up on a streaming service in the near future. 

This movie might be, and that is a big might, an excellent commentary to what is wrong with most mega churches in the United States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis