Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Workers for God Must Bear The Seed of the Word

Workers for God must tell the gospel and keep to the gospel. You must continually dwell upon the real truth, as it is in God’s Word, for nothing but this will win souls. Now, in order to do this, workers for Christ must know God’s truth. We must know it by an inward experience of its power as well as in the theory. We must know it as a precious truth. It must be precious seed to us, for which we should be prepared to die if it were necessary. We must understand it as being precious because it comes from God, precious because it tells man the best of news, precious because it is sprinkled with the blood of Jesus, and precious because Christ values it, and all holy men esteem it beyond all price. We must not deliver it with flippancy or talk of solemn themes with levity. We should not share the gospel as though we were relating a mere tale from The Arabian Nights, a romance meant for amusement, or entertainment to pass time. We who sow for God must sow in earnest, because the seed is more precious than we can ever estimate.

Work for God as those who know that the truth is a seed. Do not speak of it and forget it. Do not tell the gospel as though it were a stone and will lie on the ground and never spring up. Share the truth with the firm conviction that there is life in it. Our estimate as to the ability of the preciousness of the seed will have much to do with the result of the seed. If I do not heartily esteem the gospel I teach, I will not teach it with all my heart and cannot expect to see the sheaves. But if I value the gospel, I will share it as being priceless beyond all cost; I will speak with due energy and with an earnestness that brings me to tears. Then I will be the man who comes again rejoicing, bringing my sheaves with me.

Adapted from Words of Counsel: For All Leaders, Teachers, and Evangelists by Charles Spurgeon

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis