Friday, June 28, 2024

That Time When I Review a Robert Morris Book

There are times when I have looked back on my Christian life and thought what I was thinking during that time. This post happened to be one of those times. If you have noticed the title, you could see why. Back in 2011, I reviewed The God I Never Knew by Robert Morris. Yes, the same Robert Morris who was the pastor of Gateway Church, who recently resigned over his sexual assault of a 12-year-old girl when was in his 20's.

There have been many videos and articles that have been released what has happened, but before all this took place, many were warning people of Robert Morris' false teaching. In light, of all that has happened, I decided to look through my past blog posts to see if I wrote on Morris, which I did, but not in the way I should have.

Basically, my little review was giving Morris' book a positive review even though I did not think it was up to par with books on the Holy Spirit written by Francis Chan and Billy Graham at that time. I did not warn people of Morris' false teaching because I was not aware of it at the time.

2011 was three years after I embraced Reformed Theology and was still learning appropriate doctrine and reviewing books for the blog. I knew about Gateway but had no idea they were word of faith. Had I read Morris' book along with Chan and Graham's book, I would definitely would have exercise more discernment as I am these days. 

As far as reading the book, I am not sure where my copy of the book is, nor do I care about buying a new one in light of everything going on with Morris. However, what I know of Morris now, he is a false teacher and should have been marked and avoided. I pray that Morris repents of his sin, turn to faith in Christ, but also turn himself in since what he did was a crime. 

For those who have read that book review, I do not endorse Robert Morris nor embrace his unbiblical teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis