Friday, October 21, 2011

Disciple by Bill Clem


What is a disciple? Christians have heard that word everytime they hear the Bible preached and see it in their Bible reading, yet few grasp what the word actually means. That is what Bill Clem addresses in his book Disciple. According to Mark Driscoll, this book serves as the foundation for all the discipleship that takes place at Mars Hill Church.

The first two chapters deal with the story of God and how everything is about God. With every story there is a hero. In the story of God the hero is His Son, Jesus Christ. Next Bill Clem deals with man being image bearers of God and how sin has tainted that image. We are called to be the image of God but the gospel gives us hope in being renewed as image bearers of God.

The next few chapters, Bill Clem deals with worship, community, and mission followed by chapters on what those three are not. I have to admit the one on community really got me fired up because of what I see the church truly needs to be as a community of faith living out the gospel 24/7.

This book was a delight to read. This is one book I would give to a new Christian as well as one who has been in the faith a long time. I tweeted a lot of quotes from this book on Twitter. I was challenged in my own discipleship and how I disciple others. Every church leader needs to read this book.

Thanks Crossway for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis