Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Excuses That Keep Us From Ministry

Recently, I was listening to Darrin Patrick's latest sermon called Jesus & Losers talking about how God used ordinary people who were not considered very notable such as the disciples. Darrin goes on that say that people give excuses why they cannot be active in ministry. The first four are from Darrin's sermon with my own commentary. The rest are my own.

First, I don't know enough of the Bible. People come to church with their Bible in hand, listen to the sermon, and lay it somewhere until the next time they are in church. People do not even take the time to read their Bible, let alone study, so they come with this excuse to get out of ministering to people.

Second, I still struggle with sin. My thought, join the club. We are all not perfect. We still struggle with sin. Everyone God used in the Bible, except Jesus, was not perfect. Paul mentioned his struggle with sin in Romans 7.

Third, I don't have time. Darrin said, people make time for what they care most about. That is true. People can make time to watch sports, hang out with their friends, work on their car (I know that is more of a man issue), or even get that extra time of sleep, which is not a bad idea, but too much of it can cause you to miss out on an opportunity God has for you.

Fourth, I don't want to look foolish. Truth is you will. If you are more worried about what people think, then you are not serving Jesus (see Galatians 1:10).

Fifth, I thought it was the Pastor's job, which Darrin does mention in the sermon, but I know people have used this excuse. When I was in high school, our Sunday School teacher was talking to us about witnessing to our friends when one student said I will let one of our student pastors do that. People think that with someone with theological training should do all the work of the ministry. Ephesians 4:12 says, that the pastor's (shepherd in the ESV) job is to equip the saints for the work of ministry.

Sixth, I don't want to offend people. This is one excuse people use in evangelism, but the truth is, the gospel is offensive. We are telling people that Christ died for sinners which includes you and me. We are telling people Jesus is the only way to the Father instead of other ways. To some people, being helped, whether it is helping an elderly lady across the street or holding the door for someone, is offensive to them.

Finally, I don't like people. The first time I heard from a fellow brother in Christ, I could not believe it. Ministring to people means investing yourself in the lives of people. Jesus hanged out with people most church goers would be afraid to have them sit next to them in the worship service. To parapharse something Matt Chandler said, if we are not willing to deal with people or be around people, it shows how selfish we are.

Jesus calls us to go and make disciples. We are to go and minister to people. We are to be with people even if they are not like us. Jesus has called us to be involved with his church, not in just programs and Bible studies, but in real ministry that comes into contact with people who are in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis