Wednesday, February 22, 2012

When Should You Stop Your Bible Reading Plan?


For the past few days, I have been struggling reading the Bible using a Bible reading plan. The reasons for my struggle is because when I read, I feel rushed. I have tried doing part in the morning and part in the evening, but that was not a good idea. So after thought and prayer, I decided to ditch the Bible reading plan and go with my own, which is just picking books of the Bible and read. Right now I am finishing Proverbs, started the Gospel of Mark, and reading sections in Colossians to go with Sam Storms' devotional, The Hope of Glory.

Maybe you are struggling with the same thing or know someone who does. Let me give you some things to think if you are considering abandoning your Bible reading plan. Please note: There is nothing wrong with a Bible reading plan. If you are not struggling with yours, praise God. I am not saying abandon them altogether, but you do not need to be legalistic when it comes to Bible reading plans.

1. Are not hearing God speaking to you through the Scriptures because you have to read 4 chapters in one day?

2. Do you feel rushed when reading the Bible instead of being enlightened?

3. Do you find yourself having a hard time memorizing scripture or meditating on the word because you can't remember what you have read, especially if you cannot remember what you read last week.

4. Do you skim over the words just to get it over with?

5. (The most important one) Is God leading you in another direction in reading the Bible?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis