Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Did Easter Bring You To Tears?

Another Easter has come and gone. I am sure many church leaders are reflecting on what God did. A lot of churches had exciting worship service that looked like a party because, for Christians, Easter is a party. We are celebrating the Resurrection of Jesus. We worship God becoming man, who died on the cross, and rose from grave three days later. For many of you, Easter was full of excitement. For me this past weekend was very emotional.

It all started with a close family member ended up in the hospital. Thankfully, he is doing much better. Another family member, my wife's aunt, got bad news that her father passed away. He lives in Seattle and because of her health issues, she cannot be able to travel. I know two ladies who have their mothers in the hospital and both are near death. One of our church members, who is about my age, is going through cancer and his wife is about to give birth to their first child this month. He came to our Easter service to celebrate the Resurrection with us. Our pastor, along with myself, our worship leader, and deacons, gathered around him and his wife to pray for them. All I thought about during that prayer was one day cancer will get it.

I started off this Easter Sunday very emotional because of not only personal issues but with what others were experiencing. Not only that, I was thinking about the crucifixion. I thought about the sin Jesus died for which are also my sins. Every unkind word, impure thought, outburst of anger, and the idols in my heart is what Jesus died for. What filled my thoughts the most this past Sunday was Jesus rising from the dead. To know that Jesus' resurrection sealed our justification (Romans 4:25) and if Jesus did not rise again, our faith is worthless and we are still in our sins (1 Corinthians 15:17). Then I thought about His Second Coming. I know one day that will happen. When? I don't know and it is not my business to know. I know that death, cancer, and this entire world will be made right because of Jesus.

All of these thoughts brought me to tears because of what God has done through Jesus and what He will do in the years to come. I thought about the gospel a lot. To know that Jesus died for scum like me, brought tears to my eyes because I do not deserve it and neither do you. Matt Carter shared that he always asked this question when hiring someone, "When was the last time the gospel brought you to tears?" I thought about that question, when I first heard and thought that is a question no one has ever asked me. I can say for sure that this past Easter Sunday did.

I want to ask you the question, did Easter bring you to tears? I know some of you may have celebrated more than others, but I was ready to party when our service started, but I remember what Jesus did. Easter should be a celebration but also a time when we remember that God did something for us we did not deserve, I know I did not.

If you were not brought to tears this past Easter, do not start judging yourself. Here is what I would do, meditate on the gospel. Listen to Easter sermons, and if there are Good Friday sermons online, then listen to those too. God showed how much He loves us by sending Jesus to die for sinners. He paid the ransom for us because we could not do it. Three days later, He rose again. That simple truth should bring you to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis