Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My Observations from Day One of Vacation Bible School

This week is our Vacation Bible School (VBS) which has been dubbed as the biggest evangelistic outreach for kids. There have been many great stories of kids coming to know the Lord and get involved with their church following VBS. Many VBS themes are usually based on something that will get kids' attention like roller coasters, airplanes, and even a western theme. This year we are doing Agency D3 from Lifeway. D3 stands for Discover, Decide, Defend, which is catchy for little kids.

In years past, I would be doing a junior high VBS, but this year, I felt it was important for our junior high to be servants in VBS rather than just listening to the lesson and we have our annual suicide rally run. I have not looked at the teaching material, but from hearing from our pastor and other leaders, they were very impressed with what was being taught. Last night's lesson was asking the question, "Is Jesus God's Son?" That is a deep theological question that many adults ask but the fact we were teaching kids that really encouraged me.

What also impressed me so far, has been the music. Now they do have some fun song for the theme of VBS but usually other songs are, to be honest, cheesy, especially when it comes to the infamous ABC song, if you're a Southern Baptist, you know what I am talking about. I was impressed with one of the songs the kids were learning called, "God's Son."

This song was very upbeat, so I had no idea what to expect until I read the lyrics. This video is that song with the lyrics so you can see what I am talking about:



I have not looked at the other songs or lessons, but I have a feeling this is will be a blessing not only to the kids but also to the teachers. I cannot wait to see what God does in the next couple of days during VBS. I ask all of you to pray for our church as we share Jesus through teaching, crafts, recreation, and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis