Friday, August 15, 2014

Book Review: On Preaching by H.B. Charles, Jr.

Preaching is hard work. Preparation for a sermon in just as hard if not harder. I wish I knew what I know now when I preached my first sermon which was on God giving us second chances which is very little preparation and very shallow theology. I called that time my "young and stupid days."

Sure I took a preaching class in college that did equip me for better sermon preparations but I did not have something more tangible to keep with me as I prepared a sermon. H.B. Charles, Jr. has taken upon himself to write down advice for preachers on sermon preparation as well as the practice of preaching in his book, On Preaching. Charles has been a pastor for 23 years in the same church. He offers some good sound advice for those who desire to preach the Bible.

The book started off with a bang. Charles wrote that the central function of those shepherding the church is to preach the Word. Pastors must preach the Word in it entire form and not take anything out because it is complicated. Charles deals with theological training stating that you have the chance to go to seminary, do it, however, just because someone goes to seminary, it does not make him a preacher.

The rest of the book talks about finding time to study, becoming a better expositor, finding the right illustrations, and even being yourself in the pulpit. What I love about this book is that Charles does not draw out what he wants to communicate to his readers. The chapters are short and simple for anyone to read not just once but over and over again as they continue to preach the Bible. This is a great book for those starting out in the ministry or seasoned veterans.

Thanks Moody Publishers for letting me review this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis