Monday, November 21, 2016

The Righteous Word

Righteous are you, O LORD,
and right are your rules.
You have appointed your testimonies in righteousness
and in all faithfulness.
My zeal consumes me,
because my foes forget your words.
Your promise is well tried,
and your servant loves it.
I am small and despised,
yet I do not forget your precepts.
Your righteousness is righteous forever,
and your law is true.
Trouble and anguish have found me out,
but your commandments are my delight.
Your testimonies are righteous forever;
give me understanding that I may live (Psalm 119:137-144)



When The Bible says that God is righteous, it means he is completely just and fair; he never exploits or abuses. God's Word perfectly reflects this same righteousness. This is hard for modern people, who live in the most authority-averse culture in world history. Much in the Word seems on the surface unfair and even exploitive to us. However, this is the testimony of millions of people-and of the Word itself: If you trust God's Word, thorough testing it in the crucible of your life over the years, you will find it not only true but also delightful. You will come to love it.

Adapted from The Songs of Jesus by Tim Keller

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis