Wednesday, August 22, 2012

When The Podcast Becomes The Pastor

Years ago, the pastor of the church I attended during my college days, shared a story about a man who did not have to be part of a local church and could hear the Bible preached in his home from his pastor. The pastor asked the man who is his pastor and the man answered, "Charles Stanley."

While this story maybe a little humorous, it is the same story for many Christians in America. They decided that if a church can have a TV ministry, why go when we can have breakfast and watch a sermon as if it were some form of entertainment. The same is true with podcasts. We have more access to more sermons today thanks to the Internet.

Now before I get dismissed as an anti-tech guy, let me clarify a few things. First, I love that churches have internet and/or TV ministries. I listen to a lot of sermons through the Internet. God has used a lot of sermons from the Internet to convict me of sin and equip for ministry as well as fall on my knees and worship Him. However, those pastors I listen to on the Internet are not my pastor. I love listening to Matt Chandler, but I do not attend Village Church, so he is not my pastor, which would be awkward because I serve as a youth pastor in Wichita Falls (I cannot imagine what staff meetings would be like). The same is true for Mark Driscoll and Darrin Patrick. Love those guys, but they are not my pastor.

Second, TV and Internet ministries should be used for reaching the lost and encouraging church members who are homebound. I cannot believe the number of stories of lost people getting saved through the Internet and radio. However, the problem starts when those new Christians fail to get involved with a local church. Homebound members are those who cannot attend church because of they cannot get around like they use to or they have an illness that requires them to stay indoors as much as possible. Most of the ones I have talked to in the past said they wish they can be with the church but cannot.

Third, TV and Internet ministries should not replace church. Just because it is easier to turn the TV on and not shower, then to show up in your Sunday's best and appear happy when you want to know how long the sermon is going to be so you can beat the Methodist to your favorite resturant (that is an old Baptist joke). It has been said, if you want to see the gospel consume a church, turn off the TV and that is true. The problem is some do not want to be engage because of the convinence of techonlogy.

Back to the story, I mentioned earlier, I am sure this guy loves Jesus but it shows he has no desire to be involved with a church. I am thankful he is listening to the Word, but that does mean he should push the church away or a pastor just because he is not Charles Stanley. Stanley is a good Bible teacher, but he cannot be there for that man. The same is true other TV/Radio/Internet preachers.

Your favorite TV/Radio/Internet preacher cannot be there for you when you need spiritual guidance. He cannot pray for you one on one as a pastor from a local church can do. You are neglecting for yourself the joy of being involved in a local church by being lazy and listening to the radio/Internet and/or watching a preacher on TV. Most of the guys preaching on TV do not even preach the true gospel, they only preach a gospel that will make people happy and give them the approval of man.

Christian, if you are not involved in a local church because you think listening or watching preaching is what you need in place of the church; stop, repent, and ask the Spirit to guide you to a church you need be part of.

Recommended Reading

You Need a Pastor and Church, Not Just a Podcast and Speakers by Geoff Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis