Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Do I Have Another King?

Yesterday, I asked the question if there was another king other than Jesus that was stirring your heart toward the worship of a created thing or person. As I woke up this morning, I began to think about the question, but instead of asking people if they have another king, I need to ask myself if I have another king. Jesus said,

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye (Matthew 7:3-5).

I cannot confront someone else's idolatry without confronting my own. Our world is full of things to get our attention off God. Most of them are things that the Bible has told us are sinful, but there are also good things that can cause to worship it or set our minds on that as an object of worship. Those idols are to my liking. They are not something I just pick up and say, "I think I will make this my idol." They could be something I surround myself with everyday and not knowing I was making them an object of worship.

How do I know what idols hold on to me? This is where the Holy Spirit comes in. We need to ask Him what idols do we have. The psalmist wrote:

Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting! (Psalm 139:23-24)


Only the Spirit of God can lead us to find out what or who are idols are. He will be the One who will lead us "in the way everlasting." He will be the One who will turn our hearts and minds towards Jesus.

My idols will always be around and I need Jesus to be the One I truly worship so I may enjoy the things in life He has given me without making them an object of worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis