Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What Was I Learning?

I loved the church I was attending during my teenage years. Had many great memories from that church. Got saved, baptized, and God called me to ministry. Our church had many great teachers. Some of the best teaching I got was from Sunday School. I remember one summer, one of our Sunday School teachers took us through Revelation.

As I am going through this week's lesson in The Gospel Project talking about Jesus being the Faithful Son and why he is the One who can truly represent us, I was thinking, what was I learning during my teenage years. What was filling my heart as I heard the Word of God taught.

I was learning to stay away from sin and Jesus will make you a better person. I was also taught to stay away from sex and even made the True Love Waits commitment. I was also learning that success in ministry was measured in the number of people you have coming to your event. I remember the gospel taught only during evangelistic events not as of first importance.

It was not only in church, but it was during my time watching TBN (Don't judge me, I did not know any better back then as I do now). I remember watching sermons from guys that was putting me in the center of God's universe instead of desiring to seek to glorify God in everything in my life and to believe in the gospel as I live day to day.

As I was studying, I could not help to thank God for Lifeway making The Gospel Project and allowing me to teach this material to our students. I hope and pray that realize Jesus is not someone who we mention in Sunday School as a moral man, but as one who is our Example and Redeemer. The One we can run to for salvation and trusting in His finished work on the cross as providing our salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis