Monday, March 11, 2013

Is God Obligated To Heal?

This past week has been a roller coaster of emotions. Two friends with their mothers' health fading fast. One of our church members discovered he has B-cell Lymphoma. This week I began to understand more of suffering with people not just mourn with this those who mourn. During on prayer service, I remember hearing a lady pray for a family member of one of our church member who needed healing, and she said something that caught my attention. She told God that she expects Him to heal that person.

I fear that many Christians think that God is obligated to heal anyone who pray for. In fact, we sometimes think God is obligated to answer any prayers we send Him. There are prayers I have prayed He never answered, which I am thankful because some of my requests with stupid and selfish. Expecting God to heal anyone we pray, is almost saying to God, "I am your child, you are to answer me."

I invite you to read what Aaron Armstrong said on this very subject:

So many Christians wonder about whether or not God still heals miraculously today, as we see Him do in the both the Old and New Testaments. Depending on who you ask, you’ll get some interesting answers.

My answer is somewhat simple, but then again, maybe not so. Here’s how I answer the question:

We should expect God to do what will bring God the most glory.

To help unpack that, here are three things to keep in mind when wondering if God will heal someone of an ailment or infirmity:

1. Recognize the difference between ability and obligation.

2. A lack of healing doesn’t mean a lack of faith.

3. God’s glory is His overriding concern—and it should be ours, too.

Read the rest here

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis