Friday, May 29, 2015

Book Review: CROSS edited by John Piper and David Mathis

There are many conferences that happen all over the world and especially hear in the United States. Some conferences happen yearly and every other year. We have Passion, Desiring God, Together for the Gospel, and The Gospel Coalition. Some of these conferences will have a certain theme to them but what one conference that was focused on students. Some of you would say, "Isn't what the Passion conference does?" I am talking about one that focuses on students whose hearts are for the nations. Those who desire to do missions.

In December 2013, thousands of student gathered together to be mobilized for missions. To go in places where it is dangerous. To places where it is remote and people don't know who Jesus is. This conference featuring John Piper, Conrad Mbewe, Ricahrd Chin, Mack Stiles, Matt Chandler, Michael Oh, David Platt, Thabiti Anyabwile, Kevin DeYoung, and D.A. Carson is called CROSS, which also happens to be the title of this book.

Each chapter is a general session each preacher did during CROSS. Piper addressed the chief end of missions which is the supremacy of God in the joy of all people. DeYoung's chapter was on the five surprising motivations for mission where he addressed the doctrines of grace also known as T.U.L.I.P. which are the five points of Calvinism. I love Mack Stiles' chapter where he expressed if you are called to be a missionary, you must be inspired by the gospel. It does no good for a missionary to go over seas and not love the gospel as they serve the people.

One thing this book addresses is that not all Christians are called to be missionaries. Some are called to go while some are called to stay. David Platt addressed that in the conclusion of this book. What is most important is your obedience to God on whether or not you should be in the mission field. When I was in college, I heard a lot about missions. I kept thinking if God wanted me to go. I felt the speakers who I heard kept making me feel guilty that I am not a missionary. Praise be to God, this book did not give that impression and I hope those who heard these messages felt the same.

This is great book to give to a student considering missions. I think youth pastors will benefit from it too as well as those in college ministry to equip their people.

Thanks B&H Publishing for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis