Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Book Review: The Reckless Love of God by Alex Early

All of us from one time or another have doubted that God loves us. We think that He has abandoned us after we have committed a particular sin we struggle with for the last time or when things go wrong when they are out of our control. Yet the Bible reassures us that God does love us. Alex Early felt that same way. He often wondered if God loved him. He also knows there are people who lack assurance of God's which led him to write the book, The Reckless Love of God.

Early writes about the ultimate expression of God's love which was sending Jesus to die on the cross in our place for our sins. Each chapter title contains some words from the popular hymn, "Jesus Loves Me." For those not familiar with the hymn, it goes like this:


Jesus loves me, This I know
For the Bible tells me so
Little ones to Him belong
They are weak, but He is strong.

Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
Yes, Jesus loves me
The Bible tells me so.


Early talks about Jesus, which is a great way to start any Christian book, who He is, His deity, and how He is the ultimate expression of God's love. The next few chapters talk about Jesus loving us as sinful creatures who deserve the wrath of God. You cannot separate God's love from God's holiness which is something I appreciate Alex talking about.

The last part of the chorus to "Jesus Loves Me" says the Bible tells me so. Alex talks about the Bible which is the foundation for all Christian believers. Jesus is hero of the Bible and you cannot separate Him from it even though scholars have done that for years. Because Christians have the Bible, we have God's very words spoken to us which will allow us to engage our culture and even take a serious look at ourselves.

Finally, Early writes to non-believers about how much God loves them by sending Jesus in their place and to consider receiving the free gift of eternal life. Alex also writes to believers about loving Jesus' bride, the church, and to live as everyday Christians in everyday life.

From the moment I read the first chapter, I was blown away. I was reminded how much God loved me and how He saved me from my sins. This book is perfect for believers to give to their unbelieving friends and even to mature believers who doubt that God loves them. This would also be good for small group discussions whether in a coffee shop or someone's house.

Thanks Bethany House for letting me review this book.

1 comment:

ShareThis