Monday, March 28, 2016

Book Review: Gospel-Centered Youth Ministry edited by Cameron Cole & Jon Nielson

When I was called to ministry, I felt God was leading me to youth ministry. I began learning from my youth pastors as well as other youth pastors during my time in college. I read books on youth ministry and even attended a few youth ministry conferences.

All the stuff I learned during those years was about making connections with students and even planning events. Yes, there were some times where I had to learn how to teach the Bible to students, but my approach was more of a seeker-sensitive kind rather than a gospel-centered approach. To be honest, there was hardly gospel-centered approaches to youth ministry that was available.

I am thankful to let you know that is finally one book that take a gospel-centered approach to youth ministry which happens to be called, Gospel-Centered Youth Ministry. Cameron Cole and Jon Nielson have collected various authors in discussing how to take the gospel to youth ministry without trying to make it look cool, which is something youth ministry tries to do, but only makes the rest of us look like dopes.

This book talks about preaching the gospel to students, building community in youth ministry, and even connecting with parents. This book also addresses learning the Bible in small groups and as well as youth pastors investing in students so they can do the work of ministry. One thing I remember in my youth ministry days is the students, and some parents, expect the youth pastor to do all the work.

The book also address mobilizing the students for evangelism, serving in their community, the poor, and even going on mission trips. I really wished this book was around when I was a youth pastor. Everything in this book is gold. I love that this book does not give what is the latest gimmicks and is centered around the gospel.

I encourage all youth pastors and even youth workers to read this book. Pastors, please read this and encourage your youth pastor to take the gospel in their youth ministry. Church planters, this will serve as a great guide as your ponder about having a youth ministry as your church grows.

Thanks Crossway for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis