Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Book Review: The Satisfied Soul by John Piper

What satisfies you? Is it a big bank account, obedient kids, or your dream job? We live in a world where we can look for something or someone to satisfy us even though it may be temporary. Have you ever thought about being satisfied in God? The Psalmist wrote:

Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever (Psalm 73:25-26).

John Piper has written a new devotional to help his readers to be satisfied in the Lord. The books is titled, The Satisfied Soul. Instead of writing a book which may have just a few number of chapters, Piper wrote a devotional with 120 short entries. He wrote, "One of the reasons I put together collections of short mediations is that my life has been changed as much by paragraphs as by books." Not that books don't have any value or influence, but in what this devotional discusses, it was Piper's intent to communicate short and sweet messages to his readers about the greatness of our God who we all should seek satisfaction from.

Piper writes about many topics in this devotional. He writes about seeking the Lord, being satisfied in the supremacy of God, does God lie, and even our response to those around us. Each devotional is about three to four pages long. Piper makes his messages to the point. There are times you might want to read the entry one more time to make sure you got what Piper wrote.

Piper does write that his words are not scripture nor are they infallible. God did not dictate to him what to write in the book, but Piper's intent was to be faithful to the God's written word. I am happy to recommend The Satisfied Soul as a good devotional to go along with a Christian's personal Bible reading.

Thanks WaterBrook & Multnomah for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis