Saturday, September 9, 2017

Should We Desire Wealth?

Recently, I did a lesson from the book of Proverbs with my church on wealth and poverty. While I mentioned what the Bible says about them, I asked if it was a bad thing to desire wealth. Everyone agreed that it is not a bad thing to desire it especially if we want to take care of our families and our neighbors. Most Christians think that desiring wealth is a bad thing which leads to a misquotation of 1 Timothy 6:10. Most would quote it saying, "Money is the root of evil." The Bible actually says, "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil."

Does that mean if we are given a job offer where we make more money and the wife does not have to work, we should not take it. That is for another post, but if the Lord is leading you to do it then take. There is nothing wrong with wanting enough to provide for your family. Jesus did say as we pray to ask God to "give us our daily bread" (Matthew 6:11). We should ask God to give us what we need. Sometimes it may not be having a big bank account but having enough to live on.

What every Christian should strive for is contentment. The Apostle Paul wrote:

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need (Philippians 4:11-12).

The writer of Hebrews said:

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrews 13:5).

The prayer that all Christians should pray is this:

Two things I ask of you;
deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you
and say, “Who is the LORD?”
or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God (Proverbs 30:7-9).


We should ask God to remove falsehood from us and give us neither poverty nor wealth.

Oh Lord, I pray you will help all of us to be content in this world where we are sojourners and exiles. In Christ's name, Amen.

Recommend Resources:

Bible Verses Prosperity Preachers Wish Didn’t Exist by Conrad Mbewe

Joe Thorn on Coveting and Contentment

Chasing Contentment: Trusting God in a Discontented Age by Erik Raymond

The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis