Saturday, February 17, 2018

My Reaction To The Incredbiles 2 Trailer

If I was asked the question, what would the one Disney film I could watch for the rest of my life? It would be "The Incredibles." I loved this movie. I still watch it to this day. It was also the first time my wife and I took our son to the movie theatre. If you have seen the movie, you know it ended on a cliffhanger which made people wonder if there was ever going to be sequel especially after 3 Toy Story and 3 Cars movies.

This past week during the Olympics, the first trailer to the high anticipated sequel came out, which has some cheering and some not so much. For those who have not seen it, here it is:


After the trailer was released, I twitted the video saying I have been waiting a long time for this, which is true. Some have voiced their opinion that this is another attempt to promote feminism because Elastigirl is now the main hero while Mr. Incredible becomes a stay at home dad. I can see where they are coming from because it seems Elastigirl is now the main hero of the family. Others have said, I think it is too soon to jump to conclusions because it is the first trailer and the movie has not been released.

My attempt here is not to gloss over any comment or concern regarding what they have seen in this trailer nor am I trying to pick a fight with anyone in particular. I am just giving my opinion over what I have witnessed in this trailer.

While it does seem Disney is pushing feminism by making Elastigirl the primary hero make Mr. Incredible the stay at home dad, I think there is more to the story. There was a lot of cutting a splicing in this trailer where it seemed some of the lines were not matching what the characters were saying. Remember this is trailer not the movie.

I think there is a bigger story as to why Elastigirl is the primary hero while Mr. Incredible is on the sidelines. If the movie does take place where the original left off, something must have happened to why Elastigirl is out fighting crime while Mr. Incredible is at home. There must be more to the story than what this trailer is suggesting.

Wikipedia gives us a brief overview of what the film is about:

Taking place immediately after the first film, the end of which introduces The Underminer (John Ratzenberger), the Parr family struggles to maintain normal lives while Helen Parr (Holly Hunter), also known as Elastigirl, is out fighting crime and campaigning for the return of supers. Meanwhile, Helen's husband Bob Parr (Craig T. Nelson), also known as Mr. Incredible, remains at home watching their children Violet (Sarah Vowell), Dash (Huck Milner) and Jack-Jack, discovering the secret powers of the latter in the process. However, they, along with Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson), will have to battle a new villain with a sinister plot.

So based on this brief overview, there might be more to the story. Am I saying some went overboard with their first impressions? No, I was thinking the same thing at first when I saw the trailer, but at the same time, I was thinking there has to be more than what they showed in the trailer. A lot of times, you get an idea about what the movie is about based in the trailer and even some trailers give away some of the movie.

Some of you probably have decided not to see Incredibles 2, which I respect that. You have the freedom in Christ to do that. The rest of you, along with myself, have decided to reserve judgment till the movie comes out which okay as well. Maybe there was more to the story than what this first trailer was showing, which I know there will be more trailers to come as the release date gets closer, so I am eager to see this movie.

Once again, I am not trying to pick a fight or disagree with anyone regarding their opinion. I am just saying there might be more to the story. However, that does not mean I am going to watch this movie with an open mind, which is not a good idea anyway. I will be watching with a discerning heart and talk to my kids about it once the movie is over. In fact, all Christians should be watching movies and television shows with a discerning heart. The Bible tells us that we should "test everything" (1 Thessalonians 5:21). That includes sermons, books, podcasts, and even our entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis