Monday, April 6, 2020

It Has Been A While

I know it has been a while since I have posted anything on the blog, and that was not on purpose. It has been an interesting couple of weeks that's from sure. Just wanted to share what has been going on.

I am sure you know someone who has been affected by the COVID-19 Pandemic that has been sweeping the world. Well, this came close to home for us. Two people at my son's workplace were being tested for the virus which means we had to quarantine ourselves as a precaution. Thankfully, the test results were negative. During that time, I got to help my kids with their online classes and made sure they got them on time. The classes were meeting via Google. Also got to catch up on some reading and finishing Steven Lawson's "The Attributes of God" teaching series which I highly recommend.

Other things that happened last week were more personal for myself and my family. A family friend of ours lost her 8-year-old granddaughter due to complications from pneumonia. She had just retired from her job to spend more time with her grandkids. Her son, the little girl's father, is a coach for one of the area schools and someone my wife grew up. Obviously this is not news no one wants hear no matter if you are close to the family or not. I am sure there many who want to pay their respects but due to COVID-19 and the order of Social Distancing they cannot. Thankfully, a go-fund me page was set up to assist the family which exceeded its goal in less than a day. I ask that you pray for this family as they grieve for the loss of this child and pray that God will give them comfort.

Finally, one that hits more at home with me is the loss of a man who I had the privilege of calling Pastor during my years in Houston. When I attended Champion Forest Baptist Church, Damon Shook was my pastor. He preached the Bible faithfully every week. He even preached exegetically before I even knew what that meant. He spoke with clarity and humility. It was during one of his sermons in 1992 where I was convicted of my sins by the Holy Spirit and confessed Jesus Christ as Lord. I don't remember what Pastor Shook preached on that day, but I knew what God did through his preaching that changed my life for all eternity.

Pastor Shook was the preacher and leader of a large, thriving Southern Baptist church, but he took the time to talk with people. He even knew some by name which included me. I asked him if he would write a letter of recommendation for me to attend East Texas Baptist University, where I went to college. He did not hesitate and I received it a couple of days later to mail it to the school. Pastor Shook was one who as always available to give guidance whenever someone needed. His death was a hard on me because he was pastor for a long time. I am grateful to God for the time I was under his care and his preaching.

I want everyone to know that my family and I are well. I hope to get back to writing on a more frequent basis especially with this week being Passion week as we get to celebrate the Resurrection. I hope and pray that all of you are doing well. I also hope that everyone is seeking the Lord during this pandemic and living holy lives in the midst of uncertain times. Let us pray for one another and continue to grow in the grace of the Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis