Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What I Learned From My Social Media Fast

About a couple of weeks ago, I went through a social media fast, which means that I did not look nor post anything on Twitter or Facebook. I must admit it was tough at first because I want to know what is going on in the world and with the people I have been interacting with through these two sites. I decided to write this to show what God showed me through me week of no social media. Please note that I am not boasting about my fast nor am I showing how super spiritual I am. I am writing this to honor God and show you what can happen when you take the time for a social media fast. There were two main lessons that I learned:

1. God exposed idols in my life that I need to get rid and sin I needed to repent from.

2. My security is in Jesus, not how many tweets I can produce nor who responds to my posts or like something I put on Facebook.

I encourage all of you, especially church leaders, to take time for a social media fast. I know that you will benefit from it and it help mature your walk with Christ. I am not saying delete your Facebook and Twitter account unless the Lord leads you. I am saying it is okay to put the phone down and rest in your security in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis