Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Review On Soul Surfer


I am not much a movie reviewer. When I go see a movie I usually give it a thumbs up, thumbs down, or somewhere in between. So when it comes to the movie Soul Surfer, I have mixed reviews. I loved the story of Bethany Hamilton. I love how she said, she has gain strength through Jesus Christ when she won an award at the Kids Choice Awards a few years ago. However there things in the movie that bothered me. The lack of reference to Jesus, but it was okay to mention God's name as in a lot of movies especially "Christian" moives have done.
I recently came across this review of the movie by Jared C Wilson, which I recommend everyone needs to read before or after you see the movie:

"If you have faith, anything is possible. Anything at all."

That's a line from Soul Surfer one of the more recent "Christian movies" to enjoy some measure of success. The good news is that it is a fair bit better in quality than most films that bear the modifier "Christian." With a cast that includes Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt, Kevin Sorbo, and Craig T. Nelson, you can be guaranteed some serviceable performances, even if the script stunk. And the script isn't great, but it doesn't stink.

There are a few maudlin moments, where the movie loses its tone for real life, but in general it is easily watchable, which is a rarity for this genre. The only exception is the performance of Carrie Underwood who plays a youth minister. Underwood might be able to knock the crud out of a song, but she is a huge acting fail.


Read the rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis