Thursday, October 15, 2015

Book Review: Packer on the Christian Life by Sam Storms

It was the summer of 1999 before my senior year of college where I was at a Sunday School class where the College/Single Adult Pastor recommended to me a book called Knowing God written by J.I. Packer. He said it was one of the most richly, deep theological books he has ever read. After his recommendation, I went to the Baptist Book Store, which is now Lifeway, and purchased a copy of the book. I am so grateful for that pastor's recommendation because it is one of my go-to books on the character of God. It is also one of my underlined books in my library.

There have been other books written by Packer that have greatly impacted me over the years such as Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God and In My Place Condemned He Stood that he wrote with Mark Dever. There have not been many books written on Packer, however, Sam Storms has written a book which is part of the "On The Christian Life" series on Packer and his theology called, Packer on the Christian Life.

Storms begins the book with a look at the man, Packer, himself. Storms wrote about his family background and start in ministry. Storms also writes about what Packer taught throughout his Christian life. Storms wrote about what Packer believed about the Bible, holiness, indwelling sin, and discerning the will of God. Of course Packer has mentioned these areas in other books he has written over the years.

If you love J.I. Packer, this book is definitely one that you should read. I am glad that Sam Storms wrote this book. There are many things that we can learn from Packer, not just in his writings, but also his life. It is also a good thing to read about Christians, who have gone before us, which is interesting because Packer is still around today.

Thanks Crossway for letting me review this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis